Maarten van der Weijden RACING FOR CANCER RESEARCH
JUNE 8, 2023 – NETHERLANDS
From 18 to 24 June 2023, Maarten van der Weijden will take on the extreme challenge of the Eleven Cities triathlon or in Dutch “De Elfstedentocht”.
Maarten will do the Tour of Tours in succession, with as little rest as possible, 200 kilometres of swimming, 200 kilometres of cycling and 200 kilometres of walking consecutively. A gruelling endurance challenge totalling 600 kilometres that will test his inner limits but with a single focus in mind: collect as much money possible for cancer research.
Kú Cycle is the official bike partner of Maarten since 2021 and we like to draw attention in the global triathlon communication to Maarten’s next epic triathlon event and specifically the 200 kilometres bike ride taking place on Wednesday 21st of June.
Mission: The Eleven Cities Triathlon is Maarten’s next sporting challenge to raise money for cancer research. Every year a 117,000 people in The Netherlands are still diagnosed with cancer and 47,000 die from it. When the Foundation was founded in 2017, Maarten promised that he would give everything to end cancer. With his foundation, Maarten hopes to improve the lives of former, current and future cancer patients. From the money donated, 100% of it goes to cancer research without the deduction of costs. The organizational costs of the foundation are paid for by sponsorship money.
Maarten van der Weijden is an Olympic gold medallist in the 10km open water distance in Beijing 2008 after recovering from leukaemia 7 years earlier. Listen to his story in his own words…
In 2019 Maarten made a second attempt after 2018 to swim the entire eleven-city tour which turned out to be a huge success. He arrived after 74 hours and 4 minutes at the finish line in Leeuwarden on 24 June 2019, with thousands of spectators along the swim course. Across both the 2018 and 2019 events, Maarten collected the stunning total donation amount of €12 million, which was for 100% allocated to various cancer-research projects.
In February 2021 the partnership between Maarten and Kú Cycle started with the fitting and building process of Maarten’s TF1. With his imposing height it was quite a project to design and build a special triathlon bike for Maarten. The result was a super comfortable, very fast and striking design of the flag for the Northern province where The Eleven Cities Triathlon is held; Friesland
2021: Trial version of the Eleven City Tour bike course. The entire 200 kilometres bike course is completed with visits to each of the villages and cities along this historical ice-skating course.
You can support Maarten’s cause to donate money for cancer research as following.
1. Donate: You can help by contributing an amount of your choosing to support Maarten’s lifelong commitment to cancer research.
2. Join Maarten’s Bike Ride: Join Maarten on his 200 kilometres bike ride, starting and ending in Leeuwarden.
3. Be a true Kú hero: do both! Join Maarten on his ride and donate as well.
During the Eleven City Triathlon in 2023, Maarten expects to switch from swimming to cycling, on Wednesday 21st of June at 11:00 in the morning, to start the bike course. During the second leg of the triathlon – Maarten will be cycling 200 kilometres, starting and finishing in Leeuwarden. He is inviting as many people as possible to join him on the bike and cycle behind him all the way to the finish line.
* Exact schedule depends on Maarten’s arrival time. The final start time will be communicated 24 hours in advance.
View the route of the Eleven Cities Bike Tour here.
What do you get as a participant?
1. Pay your full registration fee joining Maarten on his 200 kilometres bike ride.
2. We will be donating to Maarten’s cause for cancer research, we hope you will join us!
3. A unique Eleven Cities Triathlon souvenir
4. Care (food and drink) at the start and on the route
5. Pasta Party after the tour
6. Access to the finish and ceremony location of the Eleven Cities Triathlon
What will Kú Cycle do for you?
1. Will pay for your full registration when you participate and join Maarten on his 200 kilometres bike ride. Please contact Alex Bok through WhatsApp for discount code.
2. We will be donating to Maarten’s cause, we hope you will too!
3. We will arrange transport for you and your bike (bus + trailer) from the Kú Office in Almere to the start line in Leeuwarden on Wednesday the 21st of June at 8am.
Media Contact Maarten van der Weijden:
Daisy de Ridder
+31 (0) 624 206 281
Media Contact Kú Cycle:
+31 (0) 683 033 920
Over Maarten van der Weijden Foundation
Van kanker herstel je als de juiste behandeling er is. Het is daarna vooral een kwestie van geluk. Als Maarten van der Weijden Foundation proberen wij meer mensen kans op dit geluk te geven door het financieren van wetenschappelijk onderzoek. Sinds juli 2017 heeft Maarten zijn eigen stichting, de Maarten van der Weijden Foundation. Met zijn stichting hoopt Maarten het leven van voormalige, huidige en toekomstige kankerpatiënten te verbeteren. Elke gedoneerde euro gaat rechtstreeks, voor de volle 100%, dus zonder aftrek van kosten, naar kankeronderzoek. De organisatiekosten van de stichting worden betaald vanuit sponsorgelden.
About Kú Cycle
A Dutch based company with a mission to design bikes and performance solutions that will change the sport forever – the perfect fit between body and machine. We believe a rider’s position should be established independent of the bike and will therefore reposition bike fitting services from a post-purchase service to a pre-purchase service. A new production process (built-to-order) and a completely different sales model are introduced with a single objective: athlete performance delivered!